Welcome to the Buckfast Butterfly Farm and Dartmoor Otter Sanctuary
A friendly south Devon attraction, ideal for a family day out
We are a small, friendly and very different visit for all the family. Run by a small dedicated team we aim to make your visit educational and fun. You can enjoy and learn about our tropical butterflies in the specially designed habitat of which you become part. You not only see the butterflies but feel the rainforest atmosphere that they enjoy as you see their amazing life cycle unfold.
In the Otter Sanctuary there are three species of otter to see, our native British otter, the playful Asian short clawed otters and the large North American river otters who love to show off. Our keeper is on hand to explain all about the otters to visitors, some are here for breeding, some for retirement, some just for fun and some because they are unsuitable to be returned to the wild.
Our mission is...
- "To be a proactive contributor to the preservation of the wildlife of the planet with particular focus on otters and butterflies"
- The sustained breeding of and rehabilitation of otters and butterflies in our care.
- Raising awareness through community education to the widest possible audience.
- Instigating and facilitating appropriate research to improve our animal’s welfare.
- Supporting and encouraging the conservation of species within their natural habitats.
- Providing an interesting and thought provoking visit for all ages
Make sure to bring your camera.
The Butterfly Farm and Otter Sanctuary is situated just outside the southern border of Dartmoor National Park between Exeter and Plymouth and is easily reached just off the A38 Devon Expressway at the Dart Bridge junction. We have free parking, a cafe and picnic areas. If you’re looking for things to do in Dartmoor, Devon, this unique attraction is a hidden gem.